EDDM (Every Door Direct Mail)
Every Door Direct Mailers
EDDM stands for Every Door Direct Mail. Further explained, it's a system of mailers that targets specific postal routes by the USPS (United States Postal Service). This allows prices to drop and quantities to increase as your product will hit houses within a specific route. Routes can be chosen based on the map on the USPS website. You can even filter by age, income and household size based on U.S. Census data.
Prices for Every Door Direct Mailers (EDDM) start at $0.19 per pieces for Retail USPS flat items and EDDM BMEU USPS marketing mail flat items are currently as low as $0.164 per piece*.
Per the USPS website:
EDDM Retail Features
- Great for small businesses, restaurants, realtors, and local political campaigns
- Use a USPS.com account
- Send at least 200 and up to 5,000 pieces per day per ZIP Code™
- Drop off your EDDM mailing at the Post Office™
- No special mailing permit needed
- Pay online or at the Post Office
EDDM BMEU Features
- Best for large volume mailers
- Use a Business Customer Gateway account to prepare and enter a bulk mailing
- No volume limit on size of the mailing, multiple ZIP Codes™can be selected
- Drop off mailings at a large USPS mail processing center (BMEU)
- Pay with a bulk mailing permit
Every Door Direct Mailers
Instances where this may be a great opportunity would be stores with sales, new locations, or targeted location coupons. You can mail flat items such as postcards or restaurant menus.
How to get the best for your mailer:
- Use colorful, interesting graphics.
- Understand your users.
- You can filter by age, income and household size based on U.S. Census data.
- Research or your customers and their locations.
- Talk to a marketing department to help you find the best audience for you and your business.
Watch the USPS Advertise with EDDM video for a quick overview of how you may use the EDDM Online Tool to plan your mailing, map your routes, and let USPS deliver to every door you select.
When you're considering starting an EDDM, you'll want to first establish a few things:
- Goals - What is your campaign trying to achieve? Some great goals include; increasing traffic to your website or storefront and boosting sales
- Audience - Who are you trying to reach?
- You must have a minimum of 200 pieces
- Tracking - How will you know if your campaign was successful? Establishing a tracking method allows you to alter your next campaign based on what return you get and what pieces of the campaign worked the best and what didn't work. Some tracking includes a coupon code, QR code or an online landing page.
Ideas for good EDDM Campaigns:
- New Locations
- New Products